Fort of São Sebastião

The Fort of São Sebastião lies at the northern end of Stone Town on the Island of Mozambique. It is the oldest complete fort still standing in sub-Saharan Africa. Construction by the Portuguese began in 1558, and it took about fifty years to complete. Immediately beyond the fort is the recently restored Chapel of

Nossa Senhora de Baluarte, built in 1522, which is considered to be the oldest European building in the southern hemisphere. It is also one of the best examples of Manueline vaulted architecture in Mozambique.

Address: Avenue Dos Continuadores ,Ilha de Moçambique,Μοζαμβίκη
DirectionsAddress
Login to post comments