Monsanto and its Castle
Monsanto Idanha-a-Nova and its Castle Monsanto. It was the principal town between 1174 and the beginning of the 19th century. In recent decades, Monsanto has become popularly known as "the most Portuguese village of Portugal" in a class of twelve classified
Linderhof Palace (German: Schloss Linderhof) is a Schloss in Germany, in southwest Bavaria near Ettal Abbey. It is the smallest of the three palaces built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria and the only one which he lived to see completed. The building was designed in the style of the second rococo-period. Between 1863 and 1886 a
Corvin Castle, is a Gothic-Renaissance castle, built in 1446, in Hunedoara, Romania. It is one of the largest castles in Europe and figures in a top of seven wonders of Romania. The castle features tall and strong defense towers. Beside the towers, bastions, the inner courtyard, and the drawbridge, the wall is actually double and flanked by round or rectangular towers, an innovative feature for Transylvanian architecture. In 1480, work was completely stopped on the castle and it was recognised as being one of the biggest and most impressive buildings in Western Europe. The current castle is the result of a fanciful restoration campaign undertaken after a disastrous fire and many decades of total neglect.
Castle De Haar
Castle De Haar is located near Haarzuilens, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands. The current buildings, all built upon the original castle, date from 1892 and are the work of Dutch architect P.J.H. Cuypers, in a Neo-Gothic restoration project funded by the Rothschild family. The oldest historical record of a building at the location of the current castle dates to 1391. Surrounding the castle there is a park, designed by Hendrik Copijn. In 2000, the family Van Zuylen van Nyevelt passed ownership of the castle and the gardens (45 ha) to the foundation Kasteel de Haar. However, the family retained the right to spend one month per year in the castle. In the same year, the Dutch society Natuurmonumenten bought the surrounding estate of 400 ha.
Nahargarh Fort stands on the edge of the Aravalli Hills, overlooking the pink city of Jaipur in the Indian state of Rajasthan. The view of the city from the fort is impressive. Along with Amber Fort and Jaigarh Fort, Nahargarh once formed a strong defence ring for the city. The fort was originally named Sudarshangarh, but it became known as Nahargarh, which means 'abode of tigers'. The popular belief is that Nahar here stands for Nahar Singh Bhomia, whose spirit haunted the place and obstructed construction of the fort. Nahar's spirit was pacified by building a temple in his memory within the fort, which thus became known by his name.